Jared Leto defends career transition
Jared Leto had to clean up a "lot of c**p" when it came to making the transition from movie star to music artist.
Posted on May 28th, 2013, 2:30pm
Jared Leto finds it "bizarre" people think he can't be a music and movie star.
The actor is famed for starring in a string of hit movies including The Thin Red Line, Girl, Interrupted, American Psycho and Requiem for a Dream.
Jared is also the lead vocalist for American rock band 30 Seconds to Mars, and the group are currently promoting their newest record Love Lust Faith + Dreams.
Jared says he has faced unfair prejudice from critics along the way.
"There are always going to be people who don't like you who go, 'F**k that guy, he shouldn't make music, he makes movies,'" he chuckled in an interview with Mr Porter.
"It's a bizarre attitude; it's like saying Julian Schnabel should never have directed films because he's an artist, or Jeff Koons used to work on Wall Street, what's with the art? I'm not saying I'm Schnabel or Koons, but you know what I mean. What I was faced with as well was a line of dilettantes who set a very bad example; there was a precedent set by people who, let's be honest, didn't do a very good job of making good, meaningful work. So that career switch got a bad rep, and it was inevitable that we needed to clean up a lot of c**p."
Despite his high profile, Jared still dismisses the idea of being a celebrity. The 41 year old star says it's his passion for the arts that is most important to him.
"I did grow up in a very creative world," he explained. "It was the 1970s, the age of the artist and the hippy, and my exposure to that shaped me in a really deep way. I was raised among people who made things to make them, and with the idea that if you're a creative person, then of course you're going to do something creative with your life - whether you're an artist, a performance artist, a potter or a photographer.
"I had no concept of the word 'fame'; or a notion of success or money. We grew up very poor, so our world wasn't anywhere near that kind of stuff. You have to do what is important to you and protect that."
© Cover Media
Keywords: Jared Leto, 30 Seconds to Mars
- Hudson: I see dead people
- Chrissy Teigen: Legend reunions are exciting
- Sophia Loren ‘moved’ by 80th bday
- Kirsten laughing off nude pic leak
- LeAnn blasts manufactured music
- Jessica Simpson done having kids
- Rivers’ doctor ‘denies selfie’
- Jada: I’m a trusting mother
- Gwen Stefani’s Gavin uncertainty
- Thicke ‘stranded in Cabo’
- Brown: Nobody's invincible
- Chris 'serenades J-Law at Coldplay gig'
- Gaga's journey of self-discovery
- Laura Carmichael praises gorgeous George
- Dan Ackroyd's admiration for Prince Charles
- VB ‘giving Liv Tyler mom tips’